Leisure & Recreation

Seeing as how both Justin and I have been working 7 day weeks for the past month, we gave ourselves the day off and got a lot done that was not house related.

We finally dropped off couple of donation boxes that's been collecting dust at the apartment. I've been wanting to check out Home Goods, an off-price home fashion store in Moraga, CA. So glad we went, because we found couple of fantastic kitchen items at half their retail prices. Instead of buying a set of pots and pans I really want to start collecting well made individual pieces that we need and can use for a long time. Our old hand me down tea kettle has seen better days. When the water boils, the plastic handle get too hot to hold and the whistle doesn't blow. As for the saute pan, we've been making do without, figure it's time to try using a "real" pan that doesn't have Teflon on it. Here are the goods.

Chantal enamel on steel classic teakettle.

Calphalon 3 quart saute pan.

For lunch we had Vietnamese noodles at a small hole in the wall place where we were the only 2 customers they had the whole time we were chowing down. The restaurant had only 4 tables in it. I think  our young waitress is the daughter of the cook/owner who made our food. Justin had a bowl of yummy Pho, vietnamese noodle soup with beef. I ordered bún chả giò, egg rolls with vermicelli.

  

These are not my photos. I forgot to take photos of our food. After annihilating my food, I couldn't resist finishing Justin's noodle broth too, it was too delicious to waste. 

With a full stomach, we drove to San Francisco to see the "Shanghai" exhibition at the Asian Art Museum. I've had couple of guest passes to the museum for quite a while that were about to expire at the end of the month. The show focuses on the thriving Western influenced Chinese art scene in Shanghai from the 1900s to the present, including painting, architecture and design. My favorite painting was a contemporary large scale painting of a centuries old tree done in gradations of black ink, it was powerful, magnificent and mind bending all at the same time. I would love to get my hands on a copy of the catalogue for the show. 


After the museum, we had dinner with my parents at their house. They made way too much food as usual; steamed whole fish, pan seared salmon filet, barbecue pork two ways, steamed greens and eggplants, and vegetarian "duck". We stuffed ourselves with a wonderful home cooked meal, then brought a bunch of leftovers home with us...this day could not have turned out any better! Good night.


Comments

Popular Posts