Opps...

I hate to admit it, but we (I) made a costly mistake today, about $150 worth. With such a tight budget as ours, every penny counts. Since concrete has to be dump separately from other demolition materials, I thought it would save us some money to take the concrete to the dump our selves instead of hiring someone else to do the job. I was only able to find one dumping station in our area that would accept concrete with rebars in them. I even asked the trash people on the phone if there's other dumping sites they know of, they said no. I rented a U-Haul pick-up truck then loaded the concrete from the old foundation and took it to Berkeley Transfer Station on 2nd Street. They charge by weight. We had to drive onto a scale before and after we unloaded the concrete ourselves. The concrete weighed in over 2700 lb. That's over 2 tons! I think we overloaded the poor truck. After everything was done, I found out from my general contractor friend that it only cost $20 to dump a full pick-up truck at a recycling center in San Leandro!!! I will know better next time, but it hurts to know that we spent too much on dumping concrete.

It doesn't look like much, but this stuff was HEAVY.

Comments

Popular Posts