$$$

These days I feel like we are the real life version of that 80's movie, The Money Pit, starring Tom Hanks and Shelley Long. Currently our big project is to paint the exterior of the house. But that's being derailed by something even more urgent...

After interviewing four companies for bids to paint the exterior of our house, I think we've finally found the one. This company has a good reputation and the customer service was excellent and their quote was almost a thousand dollars less than the other two companies. One of the companies that came by the house did not care to get back to me with a bid. Just when I thought we can finally get our house painted that pesky leaking problem pops up again. It's been raining a lot and the window is leaking again. What scares me is the potential mold problem that will arise if the leak is not fixed soon. So I called American Leak Detection company, they use an inferred gun to find out where the water is coming from. After about 45 minutes of them poking around with their high tech gadgets, they told us it's most likely the gutter is over flowing into the wall and that's why the whole section above the window is wet behind the drywall. For $450 they diagnosed the problem but we have to find a gutter company to fix the problem. We also need to cut open the drywall, take out all the soaked insulation and dry out the wall to prevent mold problem in the future. This was not what I wanted to hear...

I called couple of gutter companies to see what we needed to do. I was told that the way our gutter was build makes it easy for water to get into the wall when it over flows. In other words, we need to replace our old decrepit galvanized steel gutters with new seamless aluminum gutters. I can already hear the dollar signs, ka-ching, ka-ching...

The first guy told me that since we've never had our gutters cleaned before we should pay them $240 to clean and inspect our gutters. If they find any problems with the gutters, it'll cost us $1900 to replace them. This guy was really pushing me to get it done asap and I almost fell went for it too. The second guy was much nicer and not pushy like the first guy. He said that if the downspouts are working, we don't need to get the gutters cleaned. The price he quoted me to install all new gutters was $1400, ugh, that's a good chunk of change! I guess the painting will have to wait, again...but I am determined to get it done this year.

Just a reminder of how far along we've come in the home renovation saga. Below are photos taken from a year ago today.
Replacing the rotted wood below the french window in the front.

View from inside.

Replacing the water damaged siding and water proofing from future damage.

Closing it back up.

Window installation. 

Comments

Popular Posts