5/17/14

It's Good to be Back!

I took a hiatus from blogging due to a busy life...work, a new family member, and general lack of time. Anything new with the house reno? Why yes! We had mouldings and baseboards put in finally, but that's kind of old news because that happened almost a year ago. Without further ado, here are some before and after pictures. We feel relieved to have this project out of the way, next up on the agenda is the hardscape in our yard. But who knows how long it will take us to get around to break ground in the yard. 

That's a lot of priming. Two coats on both sides, window & door trims, baseboard for living room and the master bed room.
Got my painting outfit on. About 3 months pregnant so not showing yet.
Rosettes for the doors.
We live with the unfinished windows and doors for close to 3 years! You kind of learn to not pay attention after a while.
Talked to several carpenters and this window was the trickiest to make the trims work. It was partly due to the improvisational nature of how it was "fixed" by the carpenter who worked on this house during our big renovation.
Finished but before I patched the nail holes and gave it a coat of Benjamin Moore's Simply White to finish it off. 
Looking much more presentable. 
The "carpenter" who put this door in was kind of in over his head and left gaping holes on top on half of our doors. I felt embarrassed to have people over to our unfinished house.

Yay! The bedroom door looks almost finished. It even closes properly now, all that's left to do is get the doors refinished. I tried to do that myself before but the layers of paint from the past 100 years are on there pretty good. Still deciding on how or where to get them refinished and what to do about not having doors while they are being refinished. It just never seems to end right?
The window had cracks that let in ants during rainy seasons. So happy to not see the raw drywall edge and insulations sticking out. 
Another look at the unfinished windows that I tried to hide with the curtains 
Bam! finished windows. I got rid of the curtains and put up roller blinds from Ikea. It looks much better now. 
With the roller blind installed the look is cleaner lines and diffused light. The blinds were very inexpensive and were easy to cut to the right length, perfect DIY project for a novice.
Weird window in the front. 
Before caulking and painting.
After caulk and paint.
Patio door before.
Patio door after.
Nice view of a loquat tree out the window
No baseboard but who notices anymore.
I took on the job of caulking the gaps, patching nails, sanding all the patches and painting all the trims. Well, I did get some help from the husband. It was not so easy when your stomach is growing by the minute and super tired all the time. Why don't I just sit down and nod off for a minute or two hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment